by Cliff Pace, Senior Pastor
On Friday, January 22, I celebrated my 45th birthday. In the span of those 45 years, so much has changed! And that is just it--things don’t stay the same for any of us. We all have our story, our experiences, our choices, and our time.
If the Lord is gracious, I could live to be 90 years old or older. (It's not probable but it is possible!) How do I feel about that? The Apostle Paul explains it this way in Philippians 1:21-25:
"For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith."
Even if the Lord is kind and I have another 45 years, I am halfway home--rounding second, making the turn, getting in the short rows, however you want to say it. But the real question is not "how much time do I have left?" but "what will I do with the time I do have left?"
If it's 45 years or 45 minutes, what will my legacy be? What will I accomplish for Him? Will I love well? Will I lead well? Will I be faithful in all areas of my life?
The Lord is the only One who knows all the answers, but on this 45th birthday, I want to put down a marker--a signpost that will guide me in the short time I have left on this spinning ball of clay, so you will never doubt where I stand:
- I belong completely to Jesus Christ.
- Because of this, I fully devote myself to Tracy, SJ, SC, and CHiP.
- Because of this, I love my church and will serve others in this church family so they may see and hopefully experience the great love of Jesus.
- Because of this, I will be unashamed of the Good News and will share it with anyone who will listen.
- Because of this, I will attempt to make disciples and pour into others what has been poured into me.
- Because of this, I will go willingly whenever and wherever Jesus calls, for I know His voice, I know He is good, and He knows all things far better than I do.
- Because of this, I want to finish well and want Him to be glorified by my life.
You may not be halfway home yet, or you may be closer than you think. What will do you do with the time you have left?