By Cliff Pace, Senior Pastor
William Shakespeare once said, “I can no other answer make, but thanks, and thanks.”
This is what we want to say to our volunteers and leaders at Hernando Baptist. We could not do ministry every Sunday without you. You will never know how much I appreciate your willingness to display the character of Christ.
Children/preschool leaders, Life Group leaders, event setup teams, worship and media teams, deacons who stay in touch with our senior adults, greeters--you all make a tremendous difference every Sunday! Think about this for a minute: what if there was no one willing to teach and lead Life Group discussions, no one willing to smile, say hello and open a door, or no one willing to serve by caring for someone else’s child while that person has an opportunity to worship and learn?
Two verses come to mind when I think of those who serve:
"We give thanks to God always for all of you, constantly mentioning you in our prayers, remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love.”
- 1 Thessalonians 1:2
"For the body does not consist of one member but of many... the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable.”
- 1 Corinthians 12:14-22
If you are considering how you can serve, or if you are already serving, I’d like to make several observations:
1. There is a place for everyone. Some positions are visible, and others not so visible, but they are all important.
2. Everyone has a responsibility to serve in some way. If you are a part of the body, you have a part in the ministry of Hernando Baptist.
3. If you want to serve but you don’t know where to start, let one of the staff know (or check out this page), and we’ll make sure you get plugged in.
4. You are never more like Jesus than when you are serving. Jesus said himself that he came not to be served but to serve. (Matthew 20:28)
5. A faithful disciple is one who worships, serves, gives, and instructs.
6. You may not be recognized in this life, but God doesn’t forget what you do for Him and He will reward you for what you’ve done.
7. We don’t serve because we have to, or even because we want to be rewarded; we serve because we love Jesus, who served us and gave his life for us.
Again, to those who are already serving, you are invaluable. To those who are not serving yet, ask God to show you where He can use you! He will let you know. Don’t waste your life sitting and waiting on someone else to serve you.
Live like Jesus, love like Jesus, serve like Jesus.